Monday, July 7, 2008

Fantasy Cycling Update

Well, since one of my GC contenders won the first stage of the TdF and kept the yellow jersey through today, the third day, I thought I might be in pretty good shape. After finally getting the site to load the results down to my name, I'm 1771st, out of I don't know how many. I'm also playing a different game, mainly because I don't think there are any prizes in the first game, and you pick your nine guys and pretty much just sit and wait, while the second game has prizes, the grand prize being a trip to France for the 2009 tour, and in that game, you pick 15 guys and can switch them in and out daily. But with both websites, it's been such a chore to get anything to load, I probably won't end up checking my results as often as I'd like, which is fine. Also, in the second game, I decided to pick all different guys, which I'm not sure is a good idea or a bad one. On the one hand, there are more guys to route for, but on the other hand, if one guy from each team does something good, it doesn't necessarily help me. Oh, well, it is interesting and fun. I'm just waiting to see if my climber from my first team is still in. He fell on the first day and they think he injured his wrist, which totally sucks because he won the King of the Mountains competition last year.

We were in Spokane for the 4th of July for a baseball tournament. My parents came from Kalispell and we spent a couple nice evenings in my aunt and uncle's back yard, hanging out, chatting about my cousin's wedding, etc. Should be a really nice time. Eric really likes this group of kids - ninth graders (sophomores next year) and one or two juniors. One of the kids he's most surprised about is the son of the owner of my Curves where I work out. She's become a really good friend, and it's kind of been one of those situations where I so totally want to run home and tell him to pick her son and be nice to him, but I try to keep my mouth shut. He told me he's definitely a kid he wouldn't even think of cutting next year. He also thinks that in a little town, it seems like some kids get labeled young, and then the label just doesn't change. When I first learned about this kid, I mentioned him to Eric, and Eric asked around and was told he was okay, maybe nothing special. Now his entire perspective has shifted from getting to know this kid. It's pretty cool.

Samantha is going to vacation bible school with our neighbor this week. It's so funny when she comes home and tells me about stuff from the bible, her interpretation. But it also makes me feel bad that we haven't gotten a church here yet. The one I liked the best is the Presbyterian church in Enumclaw, and I think I'm going to make an executive decision this fall and we're going to go.

Alex has volleyball camp. She was so bummed that her best friend from Federal Way can't go. She went last year and spent three nights in a row at our house. But kids are just busier these days. I kind of slowed Alex down this summer. So now, like today, when we got home from camp and she went straight upstairs and I started to feel guilty that she didn't have anyone to do anything with, I have to stop myself and tell myself it's not all bad. There was a girl at camp today who is actually younger than Alex, but also great at everything she does. Alex said it seems like no one likes this girl. I told Alex she should understand how that feels from her experience and try and be a bigger person. Hopefully, some of life's lessons are going to stick!

Me, on the other hand, I still hope to run into either her ex-friends (1, 2 or 3) or two of their mothers, just to see if I'll blow or not. I'm sorry, but if your kid is a shit, I'd think you'd be wanting to know about it...

No comments: