Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dude, a bottle of urine? Seriously?

Well, let's just say I had a ball last night. Maybe I need to get out more. I worked at the Iron Maiden concert as a fundraiser for my daughter's soccer team. Most all of the people I helped were totally cool. I even won the "who got the most tips" unofficial contest. Actually, the two 16-year-old older sisters that were helping scored $21 bucks, but I got $15 on my own. And I'm not young or cute... It was totally a guy's concert, this being the first time I've EVER seen a line at the men's room that was out the door by about 30 guys, with little to no line at the women's room.

When people bought a pop or water, we had to tell them first that we were required to "keep the cap" before we sold it to them. I guess we were told this was at the request of the band, I can't totally remember. But after a while, I think someone mentioned that there have been problems occasionally at other concerts where people fill their bottle up with urine and throw it at the band. So when I'd tell someone I had to keep their cap and they'd ask me why, I'd say, "Well, so you Iron Maiden fans don't fill the bottle with urine and throw it at the band." To which most of the fans were horrified and shocked that anyone would spend money to see their favorite band and then behave in such an unseemly manner. But I did have one guy say, "How did you know about that?" and a couple of other people say, "Oh, yeah," like they knew that but just forgot. Then often this would lead to a discussion about why not just throw an open bottle of urine at the band, spread the love around and piss (heh) off a bunch of other people before you are kicked out and banned from the venue. I usually mentioned that that's how I would roll.

Then I figured out I did know an Iron Maiden song, 666, the Number of the Beast, which I am proud to admit, I've completed on Guitar Hero Medium. I impressed quite a few fans with that nugget as well.

All in all, I have to say, cigarette smoke aside, the average IM fans are good people, prone to some unfortunate clothing choices, but eager to hang and have a good time. I think at a different point in time, I would have made a good Iron Maiden fan.

No comments: