Monday, May 5, 2008

Auction Saturday

So we made it out of the auction Saturday without spending a dime. The auction was put on by, basically, three softball teams. I think there were upwards of 500 people there, which judging by the new tables they kept cramming around in every empty space, was more people than they expected. The room housing the silent auction wasn't very conducive to passing by the item you bid on and rechecking it. It was basically a long, thin room that you entered and snaked your way around to look at everything. Then if you saw something, you pretty much had to bid right then, because the chances of ever getting back that way were slim. Alex saw a scrapbooking kit she thought she might want, but it was already around $50, so we passed. Dinner was really good, although, due to the number of people, it was around an hour or so late. During dinner they auctioned off the desserts, only one of which went for $95. Everything else was over $100. The last cake went for $385. It was about 18 inches high, covered in chocolate and nuts. I can't remember what it was called. I think one bite of that cake HAD BETTER curl your toes, if you know what I'm saying. Anyway, it was a fun time, but we left early. I'm sure they were probably there until after 11:00, at least. The biggest downside: Right when my cousin's wife, Pam, discovered she was the winner of the "Jar 'O Money", I was discovering that, despite my best efforts not to, I had indeed spilled spaghetti down the front of my shirt.

No comments: