Friday, February 8, 2008

Passing on a Love for Lippy...

My family is full of Bonnie Bell Lipsmackers people (aka "Lippy"). I converted my daughters when they were, like, 2. Granted, Alex (13) has moved on to other, glossier, more colorful brands, but she will always love the original Lippies. For Christmas we always have Lippy in our stockings, even in my husband's. I have a gladware container in my drawer next to my bed full of lippies so that in the middle of the night, if my lips are dry, I don't even have to open my eyes, I just reach over and grab one. I have to say, my very favorite flavor is Fanta Pineapple. You can't even buy it alone. You have to buy it in the soda flavors package. But when I manage to grab Pineapple, even if I am still more than 3/4 of the way asleep as I put it on, I always register that I got lucky and got the Pineapple.

I grew up skiing every Saturday, first lessons for about eight years, and then off on my own. That was back when Lipsmackers came in the jumbo size with a cord attached so you could wear it as a necklace. I had the chocolate mint. I know that sounds kind of gross, but it was awesome. I mostly got the chocolate mint because it was sort of mint green on the outside and kind of matched my ski outfit. I'm not even sure what my favorite flavor was back then. I know I had more than just the chocolate mint, though. Whenever I smell that smell, it takes me right back to the Bierstub on Big Mountain during lunch. I don't think I'm the only person who would flip out if Bonnie Bell ever started making some of those old flavors and selling them in jumbo again.

They do make jumbo lippies, maybe once a year, but they're not in necklace form and there's only maybe four flavors. Every time I find them, though, I buy a bunch. When I first found them in a WalMart in Gig Harbor, I went back a week later and bought 12 of them. The girls included one in every birthday gift for the next six months. They also had to keep one of every flavor for themselves, though, so I did have to go back a couple of times. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm glad they both carry on this obsession, even if they do temporarily fall for the glitz and gloss of other brands for a while. Hey, I was a Carmex girl in college. We all stray.

1 comment:

Jana said...

www.colorandflavorshop.com
They have biggies...and mint choco.