Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stress

I realize that none of the incidents I've been through this week are as stress-inducing as, say, finding out your van needs a new ENGINE, but it's still stressful all the same.

We are finally done with soccer tryouts, which was a major stressor for me. On the one hand, I didn't want her to play for the same team as last year, but on the other hand, I was kind of curious as to whether they'd choose her again. Beyond that, she had decided to try out for a select team, as opposed to premier which is what last year's team was, but didn't want to lose all her options. So the plan was to make the other premier team and then put them on hold while trying out for the select team, a decision I felt HORRIBLE about, but I was assured that other people were going to do the same thing. Anyway, long story short, she's playing for the second premier team, and they were thrilled to have her. They even called in some people to call us and try to get her to play for them, which was kind of a cool feeling. I feel really good about the decision. It's funny because the assistant coach called us and was trying to talk me into getting her to commit to this team and the things he was assuring me of just weren't important after last year's experience. He said he knew this team last year didn't win any games. The team she was on last year won games, but she played soccer with some of those girls for 10 months and there's no way some of them would say Hello to her if they bumped right into her in the grocery store. And it's not only her, and I don't fully blame the girls. I just think no one on that team has a clue how much better it probably could be if they cared about each other and had taken the time to BOND. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I think the new team will be a much better experience for her, considering I want more for her playing a team sport than just winning.

Moving on, I remember, many times while growing up, getting a bad haircut. It sucks, certainly. But it's not on the same level as, say, terrorism or war or world hunger. I've had bangs that I can honestly say I had one bang trim that I actually liked in ten years. I know in a week or two, it will probably be a non-issue, but this morning was a little much.

I also understand being of an age where you might want to do things for yourself, with no help from mom. But when the thing you are trying to do ends up not working, I'd respect you as a person more if you simply asked me to help or even yelled at me to help instead of sitting upstairs moaning and cursing to yourself in some weird six-year-old language. This is the M.O. and has been for a year now, but get over it. I'd rather she just yelled for me than have to hear weird noises and think someone's choking to death. Although at this point, I always know it's her and never think she's choking.

I'm not going to mention one other HUGE stressor earlier this week, because that's been resolved. Let's just say a little reasonable DISCUSSION would go a long way in the future. I'm trying.

Money will continue to be an issue. I'm probably going to start working more outside the home, which I absolutely would rather not do. The transcription work just isn't enough, although I would love more of it. I've decided probably not to order new sunglasses that I could get for 70% off because I'd rather spend the money getting the bushes taken out of my front yard. I would probably end up losing sunglasses, while the bushes are a major headache and would totally be out of control this year.

On a positive note, I am totally looking forward to Alex's volleyball. She is really good, and I think she will really shine. I know it's going to suck when she's in ninth grade because then she'll have to choose between volleyball and soccer (in school). Obviously, my heart is all for the volleyball, but we'll have to see.

No comments: